HOW TO CHOOSE A ROOFING CONTRACTOR
Regardless of what type of a new roof you are looking for, this remains possibly the biggest investment in your house, requiring a lot of work and money. Look at roofing cost. Even as much as replacing slates can make the roof refurbishment bill quite heavy. What this means in the first place is that you just cannot allow somebody to foul things up for you, because starting all over again could be ruinous! The skilled labour question needs to be considered through and through if you want the roof to be leak-proof and sturdy.
What to Do in Search of a Skilled Roofer
Luckily for today’s homeowners, the Internet makes hiring a professional worker a relatively easy task. To get the best outcome, make sure the following items are put on your check list:
• find and compare offers of at least 3 contractors. It is important that you find professional roofers who have been servicing for no less than 5 years;
• check if the chosen contractor is available. At this step, you should ask for local references too – and this will never be a problem for a reputable master;
• a really smart move would be doing a drive-by to inspect the quality of the recently finished jobs.
What to Expect From a Quality Approach to Roofing
To not return to the roofing routine after each more or less serious rain, hire a master who can guarantee completion of the following jobs:
– Clean, tar-free and water-proof installation of shingles. Those must be closely adjusted and trimmed neatly along the lines where the valleys overlay the valley flashing. Beware of badly aligned shingles as they can give a leak and also an untidy look to your house.
– Replacement of eaves and valley flashing as part of the total roof renewal. When reroofing, the master must ensure adequate removal of water from pipes by installing pipe boots.
– Check for gas vents and ventilation issues. Due to the circulation of warm air in winter, drops of condensed water on the internal side of the sheathing can lead to the accumulation of excessive moisture. This problem is solved by installing soffit and ridge vents and creating normal airflow.
– Check for roof damage and rotted decking. Even the best quality materials demand maintenance and also replacement with time. The complete tear-off and re-assembling of the roof can seem terrifying. Nevertheless, that is obligatory for leak-tightness and heat insulation and is best done in package with other roofing jobs.
Surely, good workmanship requires some good money; this does not mean, however, that the master is free to charge whatever he likes. Normally, your budget should cover both the jobs planned and any extra charges possible. Be careful, though, to not get into a situation where such additional expenses catch you unawares. An expert roofer always helps you keep your expenses within reasonable limits and asks for extra charges only if they are justified.